WELCOME to the 2018/2019 school year! One of the most important things your child can do to achieve academic success is also one of the most basic: going to school every day. In fact, research has shown that your child's attendance record is one of the biggest factors influencing his or her academic success! So please make sure your child is in school every day unless they absolutely have to miss. Below are key points concerning attendance from the student handbook:
Excuses must be turned in within three days of the absence or the absence will be considered unexcused.
- Students with unexcused absences may not be permitted to make up or receive credit for any tests, quizzes, class work, or homework that was to be completed during the day(s) of absence.
- After the accumulation of three (3) unexcused absences, a referral may be made to Children and Youth Services and/or the District Magistrate.
- A maximum of ten (10) lawful absences will be permitted during a school year. All absences beyond ten (10) days will require a medical excuse or the absence will be considered unexcused.
- Any student arriving after 7:55 a.m. is considered tardy.
- Each student will be permitted four (4) unexcused tardies per nine (9) week grading period.
- After five (5) unexcused tardies per nine (9) week grading period, students will be subject to disciplinary action including activity detention, in-school suspension, loss of driving privileges, and/or bad standing.
- Tardies will be considered excused if a medical excuse is submitted.
- Students must present a note from a parent/guardian with the time of the early dismissal and reason for leaving early.
- All students leaving school early must sign out in the high school office.
- Students are not permitted to leave early to go to work.
- After five (5) early dismissals, a medical excuse will be required or the early dismissal will be considered unexcused.
If you have any questions about your child’s attendance, you may reach Sharon Laffey by phone at (724)948-3328 X3012 or email at email@example.com. To send a fax: (724)948-3344.