Skip to main content
Voice Recognition
Better today than yesterday, McGuffey will T.E.A.C.H.
Together, Excellence, Achievement, Community, Hope

Post-Secondary Education

Post Secondary Education

Post secondary education includes any learning after high school
  • 2 or 4 year colleges
  • community colleges
  • technical/vocational training programs

Students with Disabilities in Post Secondary Schools

Students with disabilities can receive supports and services at post secondary schools.  These services often look different than having an IEP in high school, but there are people at the post secondary school who want to help you reduce barriers and be successful.  

For more information about disability services and what the law requires regarding post-secondary access and reasonable accommodations, visit the following links:

What are some differences between services in high school and post-secondary schools?

High School

Post-secondary School

The school is responsible for identifying students having difficulties.

In order to receive services, the student, not the parent, must self-identify to the appropriate person or office in order to receive accommodations.

The school arranges for an assessment or evaluation.

The student must submit the appropriate documentation to the designated office on campus.

Regulations may determine which evaluations or assessments are performed.

Each post-secondary school can determine reasonable documentation guidelines and these guidelines may differ slightly from school to school.

After assessments and evaluations are completed, the school schedules a meeting with the student and/or parent to determine how services will be obtained.

The student is responsible for following the procedures for obtaining services and submitting documentation that adheres to the school’s particular documentation guidelines.

The school pays for assessments and evaluations that are dictated in the regulations.

The student, not the school, is responsible for paying for assessments and evaluations.

Websites for Post-secondary Education and Training

This website is designed to be a resource for high school students and college students with learning disabilities, ADHD, medical conditions, and other learning challenges. It is also intended to provide resources to help students prepare for the transition from high school to college.

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is a free federal form that you must complete to be eligible for:
•Federal aid programs—Pell grants, Perkins loans, Stafford Loans, work-study employment
•Pennsylvania state aid programs—the Pennsylvania State Grant Program, work-study employment
•School aid programs—private grants, need-based scholarships

 Provides information regarding programs and services in college readiness and college success. Information regarding AP exams, PSAT and SAT exams is also included.

 Provides information regarding ACT exam.

 This resource provides information for student financial aid. Topics include: Prepare for College, Types of Financial Aid, Who Gets Aid, FAFSA information, and Repaying School Loans.

 National Association for College Admission Counseling

 College/University options for people with Intellectual Disabilities
© 2024. McGuffey School District. All Rights Reserved.